Poetry, I do suppose,

Is feeling molded into prose.
A metaphor or simile
And there you have it: poetry.

March 13, 2011

Roosters and Rhyme Schemes

Well, you’re in for a special treat today. I finished a really cool poem and I want to share it with you.


WEATHERVANE

The old tin rooster on the shed
Creaks out a final weary song.
The dawn will break – it won’t be long.

The air is calm; the sky is red
But perched up high for all to see
It keeps its lookout rigidly.

And then for causes no one knows –
For reasons no one can explain,
The stoic, weathered weathervane
Without a warning stirs and crows.


Rhyme scheme: ABB ACC DEED

I’m not completely sure how it all came together but I think it sounds rather good and it's peaceful. As for the meaning of the poem, it’s about a weather vane rooster on a farm being invisibly stirred by the wind. As I lived on a farm for three months I know how comforting the melancholy sound of a weather vane can be. A deeper meaning might be that chance meetings, events, random occurrences and relationships often move in unseen ways.

There is another poem I want to post as well. This one is in couplets, (my favored rhyme scheme), and is a gloomy sort of poem.


MUDDLED

Some it seems live just to hate.
Some live to appreciate
The little things in life between
The spoken, heard and unforeseen.
It seems that meaning’s only found
Finding things that are around.
Yet answers lurk and hide so well
And secrets are so hard to tell.
Such is pain and such is life.
Life’s an overdose of strife.


So tell me, what's your favorite rhyme scheme?

No comments:

Post a Comment